Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Super Tuesday

I don't know if this title refers to my upcoming PL Omaha w/ Rebuys win in the Venetian Deep Stack Extravaganza or the second biggest political event of the year. Great to see that Ohio gets to vote after the candidates will probably already be decided. Our system is super unfair and undemocratic as I've stated in previous blogs.

Tyler from Philly wrote in "I am about to jump aboard McCain and Giuliani. In your opinion what are the chances that Giuliani becomes VP for McCain and how do you feel about it as a whole?"

Tyler, I love the political question and a perfect time to ask this. If I had to assess a percentage, I would give it about a 3% chance. First, McCain needs to come through on Super Tuesday and win the nomination. Assuming that he continues his momentum and gets the nomination, he faces some tough questions. First off, the conservative base of the party has seemed to turned their back on McCain. All of the psycho-conservatives (Ann Coulter, Russ Limbaugh) hate McCain. I even read that Ann Coulter would rather have Hillary than John McCain. I see Guiliani as almost the same type of candidate as McCain. He's a very moderate Republican and at times liberal in his views. McCain was picked as that candidate in this primary which is why Guiliani could never gain steam. I would imagine that McCain will be politically savvy if he wins this and pick someone that appeals more to the Republican conservative side as his running mate. What's that equate to? Sorry Tyler, I just don't see a good chance of it happening. I really do think though that if it were to happen, it would throw this race up in a storm.


I'm pulling for Obama on the Democratic side and it should be very close. I just think he has a stance and vision that all American can buy into and support going forward.


As I said, I will be playing the PL Omaha Rebuy event tomorrow at Venetian. This is my first PL Omaha tournament live, but I've had success in the big ones that I've played online namely in the FTOPS and WCOOP. I still am haunted by a hand in the WCOOP that occurred when I was chip leader. I raised in late position with a hand like AA109 Flop came down K 10 x. I bet after the flop and really felt like a player was ready to make a move. I didn't fall in love with my hand by any means hear, but I simply made a play based on my gut with about 24 players left in this tournament. He pushed the pot and I finished off his all in. He showed J 9 9 x for 5 outs since I had one of his nines. The river fell a 9 and I was devastated and could never recover. I finished 18th I believe out of maybe around 700 players. The event tomorrow should be fun and an experience if nothing else.

Today's event went terrible. I arrived a little too late 11:45 for the 12 start time. I did not anticipate the turnout. I was alternate 43 after they filled probably around 440 seats. I got in late in Level 2 with 5700 of the original 6k stack and blinds up to 50/100. I won a couple small pots, then folded AQ preflop after I raised to 600 w/ blinds at 100/200. Shortly after, I picked up KQ in the cutoff (button was away from table), so I had the best position and I limped in a multiway limped pot. Flop came down K Q 10. It checked to me and I bet 1000 into the 1300 pot. A shortstack that just arrived at the table as an alternate put all his chips in on a check raise. I thought for maybe 12 seconds and just thought my hand was slightly ahead of the hands he could be doing this with. He showed AJ and I was just about crippled. After a shortstack triple up and a failed all in I was sent home. Not a good start to this series of events, but that's a very tough situation early in a tournament.

Jay wrote in response to my top 5 poker players blog "What about Allen Cunningham?"

Jay, I totally overlooked Allen Cunningham. He is at least worth an honorable mention if not to be considered as one of the best. I would probably bump lilholdem954 and put him ahead of him if I had to put him in the top 5. I just think his experience in big events and consistent success speaks for itself. If the guy could have any luck at all, he may be main event champion as he was clearly the best player of the final 4 two years ago when Jamie Gold made a miracle call with KJ against his 10 10 and won a monster race.


I will remind you guys to keep those questions coming about anything because I love responding. Just put your question in the comments and I'd be happy to give my opinion.

Keith writing from BGSU wrote "When you look at the Cavs, do you think there is one specific move that will make them a true contender? I think that no matter what move Ferry makes, he will not put the Cavaliers in place to win it all this season."

Realistically, I believe it would take a miracle worker in order to make this team a contender. This team would be a contender with Carlos Boozer locked into a long term contract, and a solid point guard locked into our team. Now in retrospect, it's almost stupid throwing out what ifs, but hey why not. What if we didn't move Andre Miller for Darius Miles in order to try to make this team exciting for the fans? What if we had competent management that actually paid one of the top ten second rounders of the decade in Carlos Boozer?
PG: Andre Miller
SG: Who cares he is nothing to me
SF: Lebron James
PF: Carlos Boozer
C: Zydrunas Ilgauskas

Bench with key reserves including Andy V., Sasha, Daniel Gibson.
That's a contender in my opinion. Can the Cavs get back to that? I've heard Andre Miller trade rumors, but I don't think he or Jason Kidd is the long term answer to this team. I believe it's tough to not call the Cavs a contender since they did make the NBA finals last year, but I get the essence of your question. How do you beat the West and be one of the consistently top 5 teams in the NBA year in and year out? I think anyway that Ferry moves Larry Hughes and lifts the elephant out of the room is the best move. Will there be a blockbuster deal? No. We have what we have this year and probably next year for that matter. We have nothing to give to get another star in here but that's what we need. Lebron will make any player look loads better than they really are. I want to see what he can do with real talent.


That's all for now and keep those questions coming.

2 comments:

Mike Klima said...

Kevin,

With Mitt Romney and Mike Huckabee losing to John McCain going into Super Tuesday, what will the two trailing candidates have to do to capture the minds of the republican voters? Also, do you think the fact that John McCain was held captive for 5 years while a solider in Vietnam, has given him a distorted judgment on the issue of war?

michaelz6 said...

Kevin,

I have two questions:

1. Where would you rank this season of Prison Break among the all time biggest disapointments in television history? Or, how would you would you rank it on a dissapointment scale, not being compared to any other television shows? Also, isnt it about time to change your Michael Scoefield avatar?

2. What are the chances that the previous question was actually written by Mike Klima? Specifically, is there a better chance that Klima wrote that post, or that the Republican v. Democrat nominations are Dennis Kucinich v. Ron Paul?