Friday, February 22, 2008

Blockbuster

Wow. What a time to be flying in the air back to Las Vegas. When I got off the plane and heard the details of the trade, I have to admit that I was thrilled. Two main reasons:

1. We got rid of Larry Hughes, a player who I believed brought out of worst of the Cavaliers.
2. We got Ben Wallace, a playoff, championship tested defender that can rebound.

These two things are enough for me to approve of the trade. When I learned that we lost Donyell Marshall, a fairly large contract for something that can actually shoot in Wally S., I was even more thrilled. The only player I would have liked to see still in Cleveland is Gooden, but we essentially replaced him with Wallace/Smith, significantly improving our big man rotation. Newble was a great role player and I wouldn't be surprised to see him back here in the future, but will I miss him? No, this guy barely played prior to the injuries we had this season. Shannon Brown and Cedric Simmons never played either. Essentially, we just dumped junk for a fresh start. I understand that we did take on a lot of salaries, but we did lose Hughes in that same thing and from what I understand, Wallace's contract matches his. Wally is a big salary jump. What I love is we somehow convinced them to just throw in a second round draft pick. Two notable Cavs second round draft picks are Carlos Boozer and Daniel Gibson.

I believe that anyone that says Hughes had any value to this team is either 1. blind or 2. stupid. This guy threw up wild shots and because he started making a few on them in the last two weeks people suddenly went to his defense. HE MISSED A 3 FOOT JUMPER FOR THE WIN IN THE PLAYOFFS! When the Cavs get healthy with Sasha, Gibson, and Varajao, we will be the deepest team in the East if not the entire NBA. Anyone calling this trade just "a lateral trade" is an ignorant sports columnist that should be fired immediately and never invited back to ESPN. One of my favorite sites dedicated to Larry Hughes says it best

That being said look for the next 10 games to be tough and the Cavs to maybe win 3 of them. Chemistry isn't something easy to come buy and this move is as risky as they get. The X factor that no one realizes though is how much better Lebron makes everyone around him. We had a bunch of bums that looked average or maybe even good because of Lebron. Now that we have some average talent, these players will start looking a whole lot better. On the same note, Ben Wallace probably couldn't be happier going from the confused Bulls to a legitimate championship contender.

Look at it this way. Our team was obviously not good enough to win the championship. We had to do something. This trade does make our team better, but will it be enough? We'll find out in the coming weeks.


I didn't even mention Delonte West, who provides a player at the point guard that we could use.


LOST (spoilers involved)

LOST was a standard episode last night. We needed to know how Kate got off of her charges to let the flash forward plot move forward. On top of that, we see that she has a child, but it's actually Claire's baby further raising questions about what happened. My new long term prediction is that we will see how this all went down with the Oceanic Six this season. Next season will be more of an explanation of the island and the events after the island, while the final season will be the return to the island and the rescue of the people left behind. I don't have much to say, but to sit back and enjoy this show. Predictions are almost never right. I would like to recant my statement to certain friends about how long I could hold a live grenade in my mouth. I believe I could do this for legitimately 4 hours and not 5 days or infinity as I once predicted.

Survivor

This was the best episode of the year. I think the Favorites made a big mistake kicking out Yau-Man and that Ozzy, as always was right. Eliza should have been booted if it wasn't Parvati. You need to strengthen your tribe and win all challenges, so you can go into the merge and pick off people from the other tribe with numbers. I really do like Jon Penner though and hope he weasels his way deep again. He's always entertaining. I don't even know how the Fans are winning. They are so quirky, odd and bad it's funny.


Ty, I tried to do a lot of research about the dunk contest, but it's a tough question and so I just decided to pick the 5 I remembered the most.

5. Dee Brown arm over the face dunk. Extremely creative at the time and probably tough.

4. Spud Webb one bounce dunk. He's 5 foot 7. Give this little man some credit and I just liked his name when I was little.

3. Foul line dunk by all those who tried it. Probably one of the toughest difficulty ever.

2. Vince Carter--anything this guy did that one dunk contest arm in basket, two handed almost free throw jam, behind the backboard, under the leg.

1. Jason Richardson off the backboard under the leg. This is the toughest dunk ever made.


David T. wrote "After reading your recent article on Pocketfives I was left with some questions regarding your hand analysis: Did you chart the hand rankings based on chip stack and place in mtt? While playing short-stacked frequently while deep in mtts, are you more looking to creep up in the $ or move into a position with a stack that would allow you to make more moves? How has your early game changed since your hand analysis and aggressiveness?"

First off, I want to say thanks for a poker related question because I love answering these and keep them coming.

When I charted my hands, I did it just based solely on the hand, but I took notes next to each one so I had a point of reference. I think you can learn more based on chip stack and place, but for this purpose, I just wanted to look at specific hands.

The short stack question is a good one because I often find myself short stacked in tournaments and I don't really mind being there. The key when playing short stack poker is to look for spots where you won't get called. Essentially, when short stacked, it is sometimes better to look for a spot where you won't get called opposed to one where it is absolutely certain. For example, if someone raises in early position and you look at 77, I prefer folding here and looking for a spot where I have fold equity and am the first one to open the pot. So waiting for a 9 10 off suit is something I would almost rather do here because it gives me a chance to pick up chips without getting called. Obviously some hands are so strong that you have to go with them. 99+ or AQ are probably those hands or when you have a pretty solid hand in the blinds and a late position raiser comes in where you are obviously beating his range of hands.

My early game has changed in the following ways. I just try to be more careful with marginal hands and I realize that passing up a marginal situation with some of the hands I charted is not a bad play. Even if I'm maybe 55%, it's not worth it when I am almost guaranteed of finding a better spot later on. I've really reevaluated situations where I'm raised post-flop as well. I think I've been less likely to move my chips in situations where I may be ahead, but I'm only getting called by a hand that's crushing me. This may seem like simple ideas, but places where you have top pair weak kicker and someone raises you early on. I'm more apt to try to read their later street bets than move all my chips in. This may be a loss of aggressiveness in these situations, but I think it has improved my game.

No comments: