Sunday, December 16, 2007

Welcome to the Blizzard....

So my last day in Vegas was pretty fun. My good friend Adam and his girlfriend Martha better known as Party Marty got in town Thursday. We went to the Bellagio to get a buffet and see the Five Diamond Tournament. I wanted to see how some of the guys I met in Aruba were doing and if I saw anyone that I hadn't already seen during the week. One guy I met in Aruba was Jordan Rich who final tabled the Aruba event and is currently in 3rd place, so I said hi to him even though my human read tells me he had no clue who I was. He was properly celebrating in Aruba when I met him. Anyway, that event is excellent and I truly envy those who got to play. I look forward to my chances in the future. Adam, Martha and I went to Paris to play roulette because that is Martha's game of choice. I really don't gamble on anything when I'm in Vegas. I just don't see value in it after playing poker. I know I have an advantage at that game because I'm pitted against other players. Anyway, I broke completely even in roulette and Adam wanted to play hold em so we put in about a 5 hour session at Paris. It was a 1/2 NL game with basically 0 players. I sucked out in a big pot on AA vs KQ after KQ3 flop, A on turn for my biggest pot. I was up to 980 at one point from the 300 buy in, but ended at about 625 after losing a Qs9s to AsKs after 5s 3s 2d 7c Js. I raised on the river the initial bettor to 60 and a guy behind repopped to 160. I had to call 100 more into about a 400 pot, so I did because there is just as good a chance he had a lower flush as a higher one. I couldn't anticipate AK because he did not raise preflop, so I either assumed a suited connector like 67, 108 or Ax of spades. Anyway, I got back home about 3am and had a flight early so I just stayed up and played sit n gos and a few tournaments and made a couple hundred bucks. I've had some consistent really small wins which is better than going broke I suppose.

I haven't played much poker other than that. I've enjoyed the break except I've played a couple late tournaments each night with the worst internet connection ever. I think my wireless card is broken after Dell fixed my computer. What a shock. Don't ever buy a Dell. I got deep in the 100 at 11 the other night, but ended with a AQ vs KQ when I pushed 21k over the top of a 3600 raise only to get snap called by a player I identified as a little loose and spewy. I keep doing things that put me in great positions in tournaments only to get screwed. Cash games are going to become a staple in my game because the variance is way lower. No matter what anyone else thinks, tournaments are the most variable thing in the world. You can go months where you just never win the right race, never have the right hand hold up and sometimes just play bad. I can't wait for my rush because it's going to come soon. Every time I've been cold for a long time I usually have a monstrous win coming out party.

Congratulations to my brother Mark and Angel as they got married on Saturday in a nice little private ceremony at his house. I look forward to their baby due soon. They are a great couple for each other. So for the honeymoon, Mark and I went to the worst conditions in a football game I have ever seen at the Browns game. It was fine for the tailgate and then lake effect absolute blizzard. It was freezing, windy, snowing, and everyone was numb. In an 8-0 grind out game, the Browns prevailed setting up a great position for a playoff spot. This was Cleveland football today. This is what we have all been waiting for. It was pound the ball into the opponent's face and make them stop you. It was tough defense and linebackers actually showing up to play. The Browns have never been a flashy offensive team and they do have that now, but running and having lineman that punish the defense IS Cleveland football. What a game and I'm debating going to Cincy next week although I probably won't.

I've been watching Sopranos Season 1 on demand and that show is really the greatest show of our time. Watching season 1 just reaffirms that. I'm watching the OSU vs Wake Forest game right now and they are down 2-1, so it doesn't look good. There are a couple players on OSU that I used to play against, so I'm cheering for them, but they appeared to have run out of gas in the second half. Due to my spotty internet connection, I will be updating less unless I win something enormous.

No comments: