Monday, December 10, 2007

A day off

I didn't play a hand of poker today and it was much needed. The big news of the day was Michael Vick going to prison for 23 months for the whole dogfighting thing. I am not quite sure how I feel about all of this. I just find it hypocritical that we put a man in jail for fighting dogs, funding dog fights, etc., but our cattle farmers kill millions of animals every day and we call it an industry. Because our society values the dog as a symbol of man's best friend and as a pet, we have a double standard. THEY EAT DOGS IN KOREA! Maybe I'm going overboard here, and I have seen dog fights and they are wrong and cruel and wrong and cruel and wrong and wrong. No animal should ever be subjected to brutality in any way, but I see a double standard. I don't really stand strong with groups like PETA because I think they are radical and way over the line in a lot of regards. Maybe they have a point though when defending all animals in the same manner. Don't people buy beta fish just to fight them? Emotions are different than ethics is probably the point that I think I can come to here.

I'm going to play a tournament at the Orleans tomorrow with my roommates dad. It's a small $80 buy in with probably anywhere between 1k-2k to the winner, but I should be a host and go along for the ride. After all, the last tournament that we both entered was in Borgata in Atlantic city where I went to the final table for a disappointing, bad beat filled 8th place.

No comments: