Thursday, December 13, 2007

Frustration and last day in Vegas

I was refreshed and ready to win the Caesar's $200 again on Wednesday, but then proceeded to play the worst tournament of my life and be out before the end of the first level. I don't even want to talk about this tournament because after really working on getting better, I did everything wrong. My plan was to try my new 2/4 NL-tournament strategy invented by my friend Mike Klima. He told me to begin my sessions with 2/4 NL tables (400 maximum buy in) and run two tables up until the point that the 7pm EST tournaments begin. Then, play the 7, 8, 9 o clocks. I'm an easy winner in no limit cash games for my life. After tracking myself meticulously through the last 5 months, it is easily my best game, and I would agree. I just enjoy tournaments more because there are so many different lines of strategy in them. There are so many more intricate things to know, and because you can win one tournament for 100k on a 200 buy in. You will never make 100k on a 200 buy in in a cash game. For the sake of trying this though, I played for about 2 hours in no limit and was stuck early but fought back to where I was only down about $200. Then I played the tournaments for the night and blanked out. It was easily the most frustrating day of poker as the two biggest tournaments on Wednesday night the 100 rebuy on Full Tilt and $300 on Pokerstars ended harshly for me. I played the 100 rebuy until I lost four buy ins and just left. QJ vs 10 10 after a 10 9 A K.......A board and 88 vs 33 all in preflop, 3 on the flop, gg mouse. I focused on Pokerstars and really liked how I played in this one. It was a relief after the worst tournament I ever played at Caesar's earlier in the day. I just hung around for a good portion of the tournament with a low stack and trying to pick good spots. I felt like for the most part, I played this tournament how I want to play every tournament. 30 players away from the money, I picked up JJ in mid position. The player before me raised to 1625 with 300/600 blinds. We both had around 15k in chips. I put in a reraise to 4200 here. He called. The call did scare me a little because I thought I knew this player to be a good player. I had played him before in a $109 freezeout on Pokerstars a year and a half ago when I beat him at a final table heads up for the win. I remembered him being a good player though. When good players flat call out of position, it is fairly scary as the trend seems to be going towards most players have extremely large hands. His range I would think is between probably 77-AA AK AQ and that's probably about it. Flop came out 6 6 6 and we were dancing with the devil. He basically pushed his entire stack leaving a spare 2k in chips. I didn't hesitate and sent the rest in. He called and showed AK, A on the turn left me out of the money and in a whirlwind of frustration. It could have been about as bad as you can play AK in this situation. If he didn't know me that's fine, but I had not been out of line at this table at all. I had never 3 bet one time, so I don't know what he could have put me on. The only hand he beats is AQ. He might make AK fold here, but that's doubtful, and every other hand I have is crushing him. This is simply how tournaments have gone lately. The 2/4 nl plan will work. I played again today and beat it for about a buy in, but now I'm heading out to hang with Broda and Party Marty as they are in Vegas. Unfortunately, I have to go back home for the brother's wedding, so I won't be able to hang with them for long. Looking forward to the wedding and seeing some of the friends at home for sure.

Also, Browns vs. Bills on Sunday. I'm going to the game for sure and want to tailgate with everyone, so call me if you are in. This is one of the top 5 biggest games since the Browns have returned to Cleveland. I can only really think of two others that are ahead, one being the Atlanta vs. Cleveland game at home in their playoff year when a goal line stand at the end of the game sent the Browns to the playoffs. This team is 10 times better than that one. The other game is of course the playoff game where the Browns blew another lead to the Steelers in horrific fashion. Nothing like football in December that matters in cold Cleveland.

No comments: