Tuesday, June 3, 2008

0/1

I played my first event PL Hold em and was out fairly early.

The first one was tough. I felt pretty comfortable at 3400 chips and was at a very rock tight table with Scott Clements to my left and David Sklansky (author of the first poker book I ever read and the first reason I'm where I am at today). We didn't lose at player at my table until level 3.

The first big hand happened when I had KJ diamonds on the button. An older gentlemen raised to 300 with 50/100 blinds. I called from the button and SB calls. 1000 in the pot and the flop comes K 2 4 one diamond. He bets 800 and I'm thinking wow that's a pretty large portion of my stack. At this point, I'm going to just flat call no matter what and reevaluate on the turn (probably a mistake in retrospect). It just seems like such a big bet and while this guy was probably not in the top 6 players at the table, I doubt he is pulling some funny business. Turn is a 3 of diamonds. Now when he bets his remaining 1000, I have to call. He shows AK and I miss my 12 outs.

I doubled up shortly after with AQ of spades after raising pot 350, getting flat called by Scott Clements and another player out of BB. Flop came all spades. I actually decided to check unless the flop was kind of favorable because I didn't think a good player like Scott would flat call a short stack without a monster. Turns out he bets pot with AA and I double up with the nuts.

I was back up to about 3300 when another key hand came up. UTG limps for 100. I raise to 400 with JJ when another player goes pot behind me. From previous hands, I didn't think this guy as a great player, but still didn't figure his range to be huge here. Maybe 99+ AK AQ. I ended up making to decision to go with it for 1925 and he showed QQ. Then next orbit, I'm on the button with AQ and go pot, same players goes pot behind me with AK. GG me. I ran some big hands in situations that were tough into bigger hands. I left in good spirits though and cashed in 3/5 online tournaments with a 7th place in the stars 22 rebuy where I ran incredibly poorly at the final table.

Moral of the story: Win tomorrow's 2k NL Hold 'em event.

No comments: