Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Why I quit caring too much about politics

Yesterday, Hillary Clinton won in New Hampshire. A state that carries 4 electoral votes. 4 electoral votes total in the final process. CNN covered it like it was the biggest thing in the world. I'm not really sure what I'm trying to say here because I've deleted this sentence 8 times already. In a nutshell though, I watched the last race very closely because I felt it was very important. I felt the 2004 Presidential race was a referendum on George W. Bush and his decision to go to war in Iraq despite about half of the population being against it. I wanted the USA to say that they did not approve of decisions that placed troops in danger without truth to the public. I pretty much declared our democracy dead after that election. Our nation is just too big. Half of the people don't even vote, but just flutter around in this country not caring about our leadership because their vote really doesn't matter. In the case of the primary, you don't matter unless you live in New Hampshire and Iowa. That is disturbing. Let's be honest. Last race, Howard Dean ran a brilliant campaign mobilizing so many disgruntled, apathetic Americans only to lose one race in Iowa that led to this




Then the media ruins his campaign and lets John "weak" Kerry pretty much win the race. Yes, I did just nickname John Kerry "weak." I only do this because if you can't beat GWB in 2004, you can't beat anyone. Anyway, back to my point. To let a couple of small states decide the momentum of a race to determine candidates for the most important position in our country seems as stupid as it gets to me. So Hillary Clinton has the momentum and while I don't like her as a candidate at all, congrats on a win in a tiny little state that will throw 4 electoral votes out of the 538 total. I still have faith in the idea of Obama winning this nomination and I don't think he can be beat after that. I have no faith in any Republican candidate or the Republican party. When I was younger, I used to think this would by my party, but I can't say that and I can't even say that about the Democratic party.


I've enjoyed reading my friends blog and am ready to respond to his post in my blog regarding Cleveland Sports. His blog is http://keithjaranovic.wordpress.com/ and if you are a Cleveland Sports fan, I would recommend going to it because we can have a fair amount of banter between us that will be entertaining at the very least.



Regarding the offseason, the Browns have to be busy. They have a double QB problem to sort out, a RB need, and a much needed upgrade of their defense.

RB

Jamal Lewis will be signed and needs to be signed. I would recommend a 2 year contract here and agree with my buddy Keith in many ways. Lewis showed up this year and behind the most upgraded offensive line in football, he had a pretty solid year. The difference between the Browns this year and every season since the return is that we could finally close out games with the run because of Lewis. I was at the game in Cleveland against Houston where Lewis banged that team up and down the field and especially in the fourth quarter. No one wants to tackle this guy. At the same time, the Browns need a viable second RB. This to me is something that I can easily see Phil Savage scouting hard and finding in the later rounds of the draft. Lewis is aging and the successor is going to be out there. I would love a more dynamic speed guy to complement the power run of Lewis. Jason Wright has looked pretty good this year, but I still doubt he can carry the load as the second RB. He is probably a great 3rd RB in the NFL at best.

QB
I like Quinn a lot in Cleveland. He has more upside than Derek Anderson. He is a smarter QB and has looked sharp from what we have seen of him. The big risk here is that does a team like Cleveland move a guy that has won 10 games to replace him with a one drive second year player. It is a big decision and I'm almost certain the Browns will sign Anderson. I agree with my friend Keith here in that I think it's time to sell high on Anderson for a first round pick and draft a dynamic defensive player. Anderson has given the fans a lot in Cleveland, but as long as he is there, he will be overshadowed by everyone's desire to give the reigns to Brady Quinn. He has handled this professionally thus far, but when things start going bad, people start calling for Quinn. When Anderson does things bad, he does them real bad. See Cincinnati game Week 15 for details. This is the one time since we have been back that we have leverage to improve our team. This may be the best part about this entire blog. I watch every single press conference and listen to everything Browns because I love the team and always have. After Week 1, Phil Savage said at the press conference "the goal of this year will be the development of Brady Quinn." Then Week 2 happened and that was forgotten.

Defense
It's been a pleasure Andra Davis, but you need to go. We need a big play linebacker and you aren't it. Other than that, the defensive line obviously needs help and we will land a big free agent and draft. The draft will likely not produce much on the defensive line unless we trade up. Please see P

Seattle @ Green Bay (-7)….PICK: GB I'll say it right now. I love GB. I love them enough to say I think they are going to the Super Bowl. That's right, the Super Bowl. Their offense is explosive. They run and pass well. Donald Driver is one of the most underrated big time receivers in the game. Their defense is good enough to beat most teams.

Jacksonville @ New England(-13)….PICK: NE…The Pats are just too good and everyone is hopping on the Jacksonville bandwagon similar to before the Buckeyes game when Lee Corso put on the Brutus Buckeye head and Herbstreet and another guy picked the Buckeyes. I knew for sure that's when it was all over for OSU. New England is the best team in the country and won't disappoint at home.

San Diego @ Indianapolis (-9)….PICK: SD...Norv Turner looked like he won the Super Bowl last week. It might as well have been because he's not winning this game. Even though LT is my favorite non-Browns player because he cares enough about his team to emotionally break down in public and because anyone who tries to fight a NE Patriot is a friend of mine I fully expect the Colts to win here, but a rusty Colts team wins a close one because they decided to pack it in against the Titans and break Cleveland's heart. Karma is a bitch.

New York @ Dallas (-7.5)…PICK: DAL…. Eli has one under his belt and I love the NY Giants defense, but Dallas should run this team over. Moreover, there has been so much crap on Tony Romo and he has been waiting an entire year to get redemption in the playoffs for a botched snap last year.


RIP Ohio State Buckeyes and while I'm still a fan, you let down the Big Ten in a big way. Furthermore, this is about time for the Big Ten to get off of their high horse with the PAC-10 and agree to some sort of playoff system. Two blowouts in a row in the national championship game means something is extremely wrong.


As far as my poker has gone lately, I've been playing less bigger tournaments and trying to really build up my online bankroll again. I've experienced big swings before and the best way to handle them is to stay poised and disciplined. I'm also watching some videos on Pokerxfactor which is a training site. I never really believed in videos or anything like this to help my game because experience is crucial to success, but I have an inkling that I have been making some crucial decisions the wrong way.

I've been enjoying 1/2 NL heads up a lot lately and have done fairly well at it that I will continue playing. I played two tournaments today and cashed in both but nothing significant.

The story of the day was the $55 freezeout on Pokerstars where I played a great tournament and had these two hands.

Here is the bustout hand:
POKERSTARS GAME #14444229930: TOURNAMENT #72648538, $50+$5 HOLD'EM NO LIMIT - LEVEL XIII (800/1600) - 2008/01/09 - 20:20:54 (ET)
Table '72648538 53' 9-max Seat #5 is the button
Seat 1: berol18 (77001 in chips)
Seat 3: myhedgefund (77841 in chips)
Seat 4: ramazotto (77710 in chips)
Seat 5: carpenter272 (14227 in chips)
Seat 6: Gosspeddy (24329 in chips)
Seat 7: guitdist (22540 in chips)
Seat 8: sapes (14613 in chips)
Seat 9: iacog4 (15795 in chips)
berol18: posts the ante 150
myhedgefund: posts the ante 150
ramazotto: posts the ante 150
carpenter272: posts the ante 150
Gosspeddy: posts the ante 150
guitdist: posts the ante 150
sapes: posts the ante 150
iacog4: posts the ante 150
Gosspeddy: posts small blind 800
guitdist: posts big blind 1600
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to iacog4 [Kh Kd]
sapes: folds
iacog4: raises 2600 to 4200
berol18: calls 4200
myhedgefund: folds
ramazotto: calls 4200
carpenter272: calls 4200
Gosspeddy: folds
guitdist: folds
*** FLOP *** [Ks 2s 3c]
iacog4: checks
berol18: checks
ramazotto: bets 12800
carpenter272: calls 9877 and is all-in
iacog4: calls 11445 and is all-in
berol18: folds
*** TURN *** [Ks 2s 3c] [8c]
*** RIVER *** [Ks 2s 3c 8c] [As]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
iacog4: shows [Kh Kd] (three of a kind, Kings)
ramazotto: shows [Kc Qc] (a pair of Kings)
iacog4 collected 3136 from side pot
carpenter272: shows [4s 7s] (a flush, Ace high)
carpenter272 collected 50031 from main pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 53167 Main pot 50031. Side pot 3136. | Rake 0
Board [Ks 2s 3c 8c As]
Seat 1: berol18 folded on the Flop
Seat 3: myhedgefund folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 4: ramazotto showed [Kc Qc] and lost with a pair of Kings
Seat 5: carpenter272 (button) showed [4s 7s] and won (50031) with a flush, Ace high
Seat 6: Gosspeddy (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 7: guitdist (big blind) folded before Flop
Seat 8: sapes folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 9: iacog4 showed [Kh Kd] and won (3136) with three of a kind, Kings


Here was a hand earlier for the chip lead.

POKERSTARS GAME #14443486939: TOURNAMENT #72648538, $50+$5 HOLD'EM NO LIMIT - LEVEL XI (500/1000) - 2008/01/09 - 19:46:33 (ET)
Table '72648538 49' 9-max Seat #9 is the button
Seat 1: DeezNutz21 (32950 in chips)
Seat 2: riverkidAAAA (14424 in chips)
Seat 3: Camm (17825 in chips)
Seat 4: GoPhish (14607 in chips)
Seat 6: cdietz007 (16992 in chips)
Seat 7: iacog4 (35140 in chips)
Seat 8: GamblliNinja (18970 in chips)
Seat 9: jacrobbo (47620 in chips)
DeezNutz21: posts the ante 100
riverkidAAAA: posts the ante 100
Camm: posts the ante 100
GoPhish: posts the ante 100
cdietz007: posts the ante 100
iacog4: posts the ante 100
GamblliNinja: posts the ante 100
jacrobbo: posts the ante 100
DeezNutz21: posts small blind 500
riverkidAAAA: posts big blind 1000
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to iacog4 [Ks Ac]
Camm: folds
GoPhish: folds
cdietz007: folds
iacog4: raises 2000 to 3000
GamblliNinja: calls 3000
jacrobbo: folds
DeezNutz21 said, "nh, sure they werent that goood the past 23239825 times"
DeezNutz21: folds
riverkidAAAA: folds
*** FLOP *** [As Jc 5c]
DeezNutz21 said, "lol"
iacog4: bets 4000
jacrobbo said, "lol"
GamblliNinja: calls 4000
*** TURN *** [As Jc 5c] [9c]
iacog4: checks
GamblliNinja: bets 7000
iacog4: raises 7000 to 14000
GamblliNinja: calls 4870 and is all-in
*** RIVER *** [As Jc 5c 9c] [Qh]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
iacog4: shows [Ks Ac] (a pair of Aces)
GamblliNinja: shows [Qs Ad] (two pair, Aces and Queens)
GamblliNinja collected 40040 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 40040 | Rake 0
Board [As Jc 5c 9c Qh]
Seat 1: DeezNutz21 (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 2: riverkidAAAA (big blind) folded before Flop
Seat 3: Camm folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 4: GoPhish folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 6: cdietz007 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 7: iacog4 showed [Ks Ac] and lost with a pair of Aces
Seat 8: GamblliNinja showed [Qs Ad] and won (40040) with two pair, Aces and Queens
Seat 9: jacrobbo (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)




1 comment:

Unknown said...

Enjoyable post Mr. Ice! A nice range of topics, and after reading KJ's blizzog your references to his opinion were very pleasant to read. Now that I sound like Mrs. Karberg, (7th grade English at memorial)I would like to comment on a few quick points. My political views, though limited, are very similar to yours in regards to young republican now wondering who is going to run this country next. In regards to the Browns, I feel that though Romeo Crennel does have the players believing, the fact that he is happier then fucking Barney kind of scares me! The QB situation is as tough as it gets but I am not sure that I believe that Brady Quinn has never been good....so trading DA is very dangerous. Lastly, college football does need a playoff, but no other team in college football proved they deserved to be there anymore than the Buckeyes!

Food For Thought:
http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=9&c=8&toinid=687&yr=2008
(See you again next year....)