Friday, January 25, 2008

Cavs follow up and another victory

There were plenty of great comments in response to the Cavs blog a few days back from Adam B., Dave, and Brendan. I think what a GM like Phil Savage does compared to Danny Ferry is that he is much more candid with what needs to be done. Furthermore, he understands synergies on a team and what is actually going to work. I can't say I've seen that with Danny Ferry, and maybe it's because I've never heard the man address needs of the team or what their goals are as management. I've heard plenty of press conferences where Savage outlines what he wants to do. It's been apparent that he wants the Browns to be a traditional Cleveland team with strong offensive and defensive lines. It's no secret what our goal in the offseason will be because we all know. Furthermore, when we sign a player like Jamal Lewis last year and draft a franchise player like Thomas, while I'm sure many fans wanted a more flashy player, Savage gave us reasons (and got the flashy player in the later round). Ferry rarely addresses what the goals of this team are. Furthermore, we can never understand what the hell the guys upstairs were thinking when they were trading a draft pick for Jiri Welsch. Again, just another forced move that we don't get any rationale for. I don't want to get down on the Cavs in the short term. As Adam B. says, the Cavs are a hot 8-1 to start the year with a top 2 player in the NBA, but I think we all want to see the potential that Lebron has. He's made plenty of bums around him look like stars, so I want to see what happens when another star is around him.

Dave I like your comments and your hopes for the Browns, but I think the fate of the franchise is going to be in the hands of how the QB situation is handled over the next 1-2 years. I have no doubts we will do what is necessary in the offseason to improve the defense, but the QB situation is what will define the media's questions until Brady Quinn is the starter or Anderson starts playing better than Tom Brady. It's just what happens when you give up a first rounder for a player that doesn't even play more than a series in a game that has no meaning (SF game).

Brendan, I didn't realize some of your points about trading players the year before, so I think we can all anxiously await the day and hope Ferry pulls the trigger.


I appreciate all of the comments and and I want to take an idea from my buddy Keith at www.keithjaranovic.com .
Keith takes questions about anything and everything and answers them in a blog at some point. Since I'm covering a lot of topics, I would love to look through comments now and then and answer questions. Whether they be about poker, my life, sports, politics, whatever, if they are good questions, they are likely to show up in a blog.


Now, I added tournament victory number 2 for the year last night winning the Ultimate Bet bounty tournament for a little over 6k. I love bounty tournaments when I actually do well in them because along the way I think I knocked out about 15 players at 20 bucks a pop, so it adds to your prize pool. I'm working on getting the hand history for this one because this site doesn't do a great job with that. If I get it I will rehash it, but this tournament was a lot different from my last win. I was chip leader pretty much from 87 people left until the final table. There were never any huge suck outs on my part just a lot of races I won and a lot of big hands holding up.

I'm watching the Monte Carlo smoke up like crazy right now out my window, so that's kind of weird.

1 comment:

michaelz6 said...

Kevin, why dont you spend the 100 dollars and get a .com name like keith? It can be your own web site and it will be easier to remember than this kiceblogspot site.

Also, who do you think the top five all around poker players are in the world (including online players)?