Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Back in Vegas

LA was fun, but not profitable. In the end, I cashed in nothing. I played 5 or 6 events and a satellite with nothing to show for it. I got put into a lot of tough spots in the tournaments, but in general, got slowrolled often. The deepest run I made was in Wednesday's 500. I busted around 68 with 54 paying. The bust hand was really quite complex. I raised UTG +1 with black fives to 2200 with 400/800 blinds at an 8 player table. The big blind can best be described as the exact stereotype of a player that plays live tournaments often. He plays fairly loose, so it wasn't a shocker that he decided to call. He has me covered with his stack slightly bigger than my 32,000. Flop comes down 7 6 4 rainbow. He leads out into me 4000 chips. I quickly called the flop bet. The turn was a K of hearts. It put two hearts on the board, but I wasn't worried about a back door flush too much because of his lead out bet. He bet another 6k on the turn. With this bet, I almost raised all in on the turn. This weakish turn bet seems nothing close to the nuts and almost certainly is scared by the K. At this point, I was kind of confused. Let me explain the confusion how I see it. He bet 6k into a pot that is probably 13-14k. The bet size to me could make sense for either the super strong hand or marginal hand here. On one side of the argument, the smaller bet could be a way to get more money in the pot with a set type hand with a K being a decent payoff card. The smaller bet could also be because the K is a scare card in a way. It turns AK into a better hand over 88 or 99 at this point. I really thought through it at this point for about a minute. I counted out my chips and wanted to see what my options were. I decided to call. I was basically drawing with implied odds to get paid off from a set or resigned to just fold and save myself the last 19k. The river comes an 8 of hearts. It is my money card.....oh wait. He fires 8,000. At this point, I have around 11k left. I nearly just called here. What made me change my mind was the fact that I really thought he would instantly call with any of the sets (not likely against an average good online player). I also could put him on absolutely no hand with hearts. I shoved my chips. He waited about a minute to slowroll me with 5 6 of hearts for the flush. His hand makes perfect sense now. It was a critical mistake in a way, but also probably for close to the chip lead.

No comments: