Monday, April 20, 2009

Did I forget how to play Hold 'em?

After a considerable slow and dragging downswing, I had several decent results this past week.

3rd in the Full Tilt $75 on Wednesday for about $5k which resulted in a net profit of $3500 on the day because I blanked in all the other majors.

1st in the Pokerstars $215 Pot Limit Omaha Hi/Lo for $7k giving me about a $5k profit on the day because Saturdays are also expensive and I bricked in all the Hold 'em events.

4th in the Pokerstars $215 Limit Omaha Hi/Lo for $3k giving me about a break even Sunday after I bricked my first 19 tournaments. I bricked 19 straight tournaments. This is leading me to believe something is seriously flawed with my early stage Hold 'em game.


Before I hit the panic button, I have ran considerably bad on Sundays in the past month or so. There were probably 12 tournaments that I really felt I played fine in on Sunday and it just wasn't meant to be. Because I do a great job of managing my bankroll, all it really takes is one win to give me a great month or 2 month period, but it just hasn't happened lately. The shortcomings of my tournament results have really given me a lot of drive to get better. I've watched countless videos and tried to read about poker whenever I'm not playing. Then I have brief spurts of playing really well followed by some calling station atrocities. These are essentially when I decide to lose my mind and become a calling station. I'm not totally discouraged by my hold 'em game because I don't believe it to be bad as a whole. In fact, I played extremely well in the 3rd place finish on Full Tilt using my big stack to my advantage and finding great points of the tournaments to pick up and slow down the aggression. When I don't have a huge stack though, I'm probably just a little too tight in a lot of situations. I'm going to be doing everything I can to figure this out and try to get better.

4 comments:

Barns said...

Kevin, I'm a new Beta up at Miami. When I brought up poker to some of the guys at the house they told me I should look you up on full tilt. I'd love to talk poker sometime and hear about how you got started. I'm mostly a small timer, no 4-figure cashes yet, but I'm really into the game and it'd be sweet to connect with a Beta alum. Look me up on FTP sometime, my user is redhawks1522

Bubby said...

He got started playing 3/6 limit(short handed) on Paradise Poker where he decided that opening 57suited with a raise was appropriate.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kevin-
Mary Minnis here - don't know a thing about poker, so no comments on that...but could you please send me your mailing address in Vegas...we are looking forward to seeing you for Alie's graduation!!
MM

Anonymous said...

ps my email address is mary@inciteconnections.com Thanks!