Monday, November 24, 2008

I blame the Cleveland Browns for Sunday

I wish I could come up with something better to say for myself on Sunday, but congrats to my buddy Gary, who won the Sunday Mulligan on Full Tilt. He one-ups me in this tournament as my best finish was second, but we all know who won the MarioKart tournament at Memorial Junior High.

I went to watch the Browns utterly dismantle any hopes I had for our organization ever being good. After that, I probably shouldn't have touched a poker tournament, but despite a couple of mistakes, I generally didn't think I did too much wrong today. It was one of those Sundays where I went deep in a bunch of things, but seemed to finish just short of the money in every one. All told, I've had worse Sundays, but I probably did go about 0 for 12. If I had to be completely honest with myself, I really do think I need a break. I've played poker probably 97% of the days this year and after running through another Sunday of 9-10 hours of straight poker, I won't be prepared to play my A game in online tournaments unless I get a break of some sort. I'm looking forward to December when I head to Cleveland/Chicago and can actually have good reason to take days off, but until then, I will be either completely bored if I don't play or feel like I'm not doing my job. This is a weird feeling that I have recently felt for the first time. In college, poker was a secondary hobby/priority. I always put my studies, fraternity, friends, other clubs ahead of poker. Now, I feel like I need to always play. I totally don't think this ruins the excitement and competitiveness, but I would be selling my talents shorts if I didn't pay respect to what it can do to your mentality. I remember having this feeling at times near the end of a track season where after so many races and hundreds of miles of training, I just needed to take a few weeks and do absolutely nothing.


Hopefully, that something can come in my first book I'm attacking since going to the library. The book is The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand. It's 700 pages of pure literary and intellectual muscle that I intend on defeating.

3 comments:

Tang said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tang said...

next week is ur turn ice!

Anonymous said...

According to Rand, the individual "must exist for his own sake, neither sacrificing himself to others nor sacrificing others to himself. The pursuit of his own rational self-interest and of his own happiness is the highest moral purpose of his life." Hmmmm, sounds a lot like the fiscal conservatives of the Republican party. Rand didn't believe in religion so I guess the social conservatives would find her offensive. Rand gives greedy people a rational for their repugnant behavior. It is especially helpful to those who have hugh advantages at birth such as white males with rich parents.