Friday, July 4, 2008

Day 1 Complete

I just got back from Day 1 of the WSOP. I'm at 37,725 chips from the starting stack of 20,000. I was as low as 9,700 and as high as about 49,000. It was really a strange day as I felt aggression and pressure against me almost all day. I can't count on two hands even how many times I was three bet preflop. The caliber of play is different to say the least. While I sit with some players that are incredibly tough to play against at times, there are others that shouldn't be in a ten dollar rebuy tournament. All in all, I think I played pretty well today, and I had a strategy going in that I was going to play careful and solid. I doubled up when I was at 17,500 when I called a late position raiser from my UTG limp with 44. Flop came 4 10 K. I checked dark and he bet 2600. I just sensed a lot of strength so I went ahead and raised hoping to get it in. He put me in and showed AK and the turn card 3 sealed the deal. I was up to 35,000. Then, I just played a bunch of small pots until the last level. I raised to 1100 with 200/400 blinds 25 ante with AA in late position to be called by an old man out of the big blind. Flop was a scary Q 9s 10s. He checked and I checked behind. Turn was a 6. He bet 2,000 and I called. River was a 9. He bet 6,000 and I called. He showed A7 and I won. That was the only other real big pot I played in. I had a couple of smaller all ins when I had 20k. One I lost to AQ with 55 and the other I won with AK vs J7. I can't complain though as surviving day 1 is the first step towards winning the tournament. I'm happy with how I played and can't wait to start again on Monday Day 2A.

5 comments:

brodaar said...

Nice job on Day 1A, Kev. For what my opinion is worth, your strategy for Day 1 of this tournament was spot-on. There are so many idiots in the field that you almost have to be so careful that you only get your money in when you KNOW you have the goods. Almost takes bluffing and actually playing poker out of the equation. I will start looking for plane tickets for when you are at the final table...

Anonymous said...

Very nice start- just a steady,calm rise in chips is what you need to do and you're doing just that

Anonymous said...

Must be nice to understand the concept of deep stack poker. Some of these kids in this tourney don't have a clue. With 75 big blinds and an M of 31, you have to feel pretty comfortable. Will someone on 1b or 1c have more chips than Mark Garner's 195k? I say yes. Well, good luck pal. Good luck pal, you get to go into day 2 with no no rush to get your money in there.

Anonymous said...

LOL, oh, and good luck. I noticed that after i re-read it.

Anonymous said...

Good Luck Pal, Good Luck Pal.


Good Luck Pal